Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A Bummer and a Yippee

When my mom used to work with the youth group, they would have a prayer request and praise time and she said everyone had to share one Yippee (the praise) and one Bummer (the prayer request). So, I have a Yippee and a Bummer to share.

The Bummer is that the house we really, really liked (I was already placing furniture in my head) now has a contract on it. Boo. I am very bummed. I have this fear that we will have to now live in a dumpy fixer-upper in order to get something in the same price range. I know, I'm quite the optomist, aren't I? But, I remember something my mom once said when I was in high school. I was dating a guy that I was frustrated with, but we'd been together so long I guess I got comfortable and didn't want to break up. And, I remember worrying, "What if no one else ever wants to date me and I lose my one chance? Or what if only weirdos ask me out?" Remember, I was in high school and a little immature... My mom said, "God won't show you the best and ask you to settle." That has been so true. God brought Slade into my life and he is exactly perfect for me. I trust that the same will be true with a house. It might not have all the same things that we liked about the first favorite, but I can trust that God sees the big picture and that it will be perfect for us. And, even if it's a dumpy fixer-upper, I trust that even that will be part of God's perfect plan.

So, there's the Bummer. But, God is good and I trust that He will work everything out according to His perfect will. I just have to wait and see.

The Yippee is that we had some friends over for dinner last night and had a blast! The Osterloos are headed off (after over a year of training) to be missionaries in Papua (is that how you spell that?). Their oldest daughter, Isabelle, is Russ' age and they've been in Sunday School together for years. They were in pre-school for a few months before they moved off to begin training and support raising. They have three girls--Isabelle (6), Elise (almost 4) and Ava (2). Zach and Mandy are lots of fun to talk with and we enjoyed dinner last night.

After we ate, we went outside and the kids ran and played and got hot and sweaty. So, then they all ran through the sprinkler to cool off. The girls went home in some of our old t-shirts and looked so cute. The kids had a blast and played together great.

I didn't take any pictures. Rats. But, we had fun and we look forward to staying in touch while they're on the field. They are a neat couple and I know they will bless others and be blessed in the process. We will miss them, but I'm glad for a chance to get to know them better and make neat memories.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Jaime,

Don't be discouraged. Your mom's advice is so true. God has "The" house for you! When we began looking in Longview a few years ago, we had 4 contracts that all fell through. Then we found the house on Marguerite! Perfect for our family. One day, when you are in your new house, you will drive by that house that got away and say "Remember when I looked at that house and thought it was perfect?" Don't get discouraged! It will happen, I promise!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jaimes~ Our church supports the New Tribes Mission and particularly people based in Papua, New Guinea. It's a wonderful mission, and we've followed their ministry for about twenty years now. What a wonderful cause for Christ.