Friday, November 02, 2007

Farm Fair

Our church has an annual Farm Fair with bounce houses, games galore and more candy than anyone should accumulate in a single night. This year, Russ wanted to be a pirate and Randall wanted to be a firefighter. Actually, Randall wanted to be a pile of leaves again, but I said "nuh-uh!"

I looked online at different pirate costumes and found a lot that were Pirates of the Carribean, which I didn't like and a lot that were really scary or mean-looking. I realize that pirates are scary and mean-looking, but I didn't want Russ to be scary or mean-looking. :-) My friend Christy mentioned that Toys R Us has dress up costumes that come with lots of accessories and that she saw a pirate costume there.

So, we headed to Toys R Us and I told Randall that I would tell him the options and he could just pick one. He liked that idea.

We went through the Halloween costume section and they were crazy expensive. And, they were very simple and plain (or scary and freaky). So, we went to the Imaginarium section and found a perfect pirate costume, the last one available, and it was in Russ' size! Whoo hoo! It was $10 cheaper than the pirate costume in the Halloween costume section and it came with more accessories.

Then I told Rand what other costumes were available (chef, fireman, construction worker, etc) and he picked fireman. Simple as can be. No sewing, no blood and sweat. Definitely the way to go for a no-sew person! And, now they have pretty well-made costumes to play dress up in. They don't really play dress up, but now that they have dress up clothes, maybe they will.

Here are both boys with Randall "cheesing it".


My little firefighter.


Arrrr, what a mean pirate. Actually, he looks like he's flirting with his eye patch pulled up like that.


Randall playing one of the games in the little kid area. Last year, Farm Fair was crazy crowded! It was miserable and the kids hardly got to play any games because the lines were long and the hallways were congested. This year, they put the preschoolers in one building and the school-age kids in a separate one. That worked out great! We spent most of our time in the preschool area and then a little bit of time playing games in the school-age area. It seemed much less crowded than last year and was very enjoyable!


Russell "fishing" in the preschool area. He didn't even complain about being in the little kid area. He just tagged along and had fun. It was a little dangerous helping out at the fishing booth. Those clothespin "hooks" could really fly!


Sweet little Julia, the cutest fairy at Farm Fair!


Josh was a firefighter, too. I think he was a fire chief. So, should the building catch on fire, we were covered.


Trey, Ally and Kylene. Ally was adorable!


All in all, a good time was had by all and we got lots of yummy candy. Not the yucky, never before heard of, cheap candy, but good chocolate! It was fun!

1 comments:

Wendy said...

it looks like everyone had fun. We had a fall festival at our church but I was pretty disappointed in the quality of the games. They all looked like they were thrown together at the last minute and some of them didn't even work right. Oh well, I guess next year I'll have to get in on the planning meetings so I won't have anything to complain about.