We went on a last minute whim to Curious George this afternoon. My sister called and invited us to join her and Josh and Julia. Normally, I don't do spontaneous well (unless I initiate), but we called Slade and he was okay with us being gone when he got home and his dinner was already in the crock pot, so we went.
It was fun! All the kids sat so well. Randall and Julia shared a chair so it wouldn't collapse. They were so cute! I wish I had had my camera. (Can you take pictures in a movie theatre?)
On the way home, Russell had a sad face and started crying. He said George seemed so sad...So, we had a talk about all that made him sad and I tried to explain it. Then we talked about all the things he liked about it. It seemed to help.
Once we got home, Russell was telling Slade about it. He said things like, "They gave the man with the yellow hat a name. It was Ted." I can't believe he caught that! Then he said, "But how did George get all the way to the city from Africa?" How'd he catch the fact that George came from Africa? He is very observant. He also said that the theatre was too dark and scary. I told him we didn't have to go to the movies; we could watch them at home instead. He liked that idea.
Randall just grinned, giggled and repeated phrases he liked the whole way through. He gave it two thumbs up. *grin* Russell did, too; he's just a lot like me, and we take a while to adjust to new things. The movie theatre was new to him, so it will take a few days but then he'll be bouncing all over the place telling everyone all about it. He's funny. I'm glad God is helping me to understand him a little as I recognize that he's a lot like me.
On another note, I'm not sure who Randall is like...He's a little toot sometimes. Tonight, just mere moments before he would have been in the safety of his cage--I mean bed, he found a pen and scribbled on my BRAND NEW leather Bible. I was so frustrated. With Russell, we could say not to use pens without our permission, and the little guy would understand and obey! With Randall, we can say the exact same thing, get him to repeat it back and agree to our terms...and yet, he'll do what he wants to. I know I shouldn't expect him to exercise self-control, but I sure wish I could catch him sooner. He's colored on the walls, the carpet, the kitchen floor, etc. *shake head* I just don't always understand how his mind works. I guess it works like a 2 year olds; it's just new b/c Russell was so compliant.
I think I might have been a little too smug concerning Russell's obedience and so God wanted to be sure I knew that the things that worked with Russell weren't necessarily His way for raising every child! There is no formula, right, Mom. I'm learning that. I'm just a slow learner...But God is giving us wisdom with Randall, too, and an extra measure of patience. And a love for his different personality, too.
They both have different strengths and weaknesses. We just pray that we'll be wise enough to encourage their strengths and discerning enough to help them past their weaknesses. And we'll mess up along the way...But God is faithful and our best (with His help) is all He expects. Thank you, God.
Thursday, February 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
PS~After I spanked Randall and reminded him that he doesn't color on books, I held him and told him that he was more important than Mommy's book. He let me hold him and cuddle him before bed, so I think all is well again.
Christys and Jaimes make you proud and make you think you're great parents. It's the Kylenes that remind you that God is in control and keep you on your knees.
Every family needs a Kylene!
yo mama
Abigail loved Curious George and I was surprised that she sat through the whole movie and even laughed so loud that we had the people in front of us turning around to look. From the sounds of it, Randall and Abigail are a lot alike...she draws on everything, too and it doesn't matter how many times we tell her to only draw on paper either. She waits until I turn my back, or get busy with houseword, then she is into everything I told her not to get into. I am definitely being tested to be more patient and I'm failing more times than not but she really is a good child everyone tells us so.
you know how "they" say that for giving time-outs, you do the number of minutes per year of age, because that's how long their attention span is, i think the same is true for rules. maybe we just have to remind our two year olds every two minutes, to keep it fresh in their minds, until that one magic moment when they remember it all on their own!!!
It's a good thought Dana.
Post a Comment