Thursday, April 07, 2011

Barbershop Cookies

So, my dad is into singing Barbershop. He has joined a chorus (I think that's the right link) that meets in Nacogdoches once a week and is in a quartet that meets at his house another night each week. He watches YouTube videos on Barbershop groups, practices singing and talks Barbershop all the time. My mom says he's the Barbershop version of my cookie-ing. I don't know what she means...


So, when my dad's quartet, Chord Play, got Novice Champions at a divisional contest, I wanted to make cookies to celebrate. It was also my dad's birthday and I've voted myself the official cookie maker for all family celebrations. So far, no one minds that one...


My mom gave me a great idea and I thought and planned and drew and came up with these cookies.

First, a simple music note.



With a hat (I'm sure there's a name for this type of hat, but I don't know what it is?) I realized after I had already frosted these, that I didn't exactly make the hat like I should have, but that's okay.


And every good barbershopper needs a handlebar mustache! Not that I managed to make a handlebar mustache, but it's close...


And, finally, my very favorite cookie to date. I made a big music note with a barbershop pole.


The whole set:


I packaged up 4 cookies in each bag and gave one to my dad and one to each of the other three guys in his quartet. They were pleasantly surprised.


My dad wants me to sing with the Sweet Adelines that meet in Gilmer, but I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet. I'm very interested, just aware of my stress level with a little one around. But, perhaps soon. Then I can watch YouTube videos about cookies *and* about barbershopping. And I can sing while I bake! Perfect!

3 comments:

Janette said...

Totally awesome!! (And for the record, I love the sound of a barbershop quartet. :)

Piano mom said...

Love the music notes! That gives me some ideas...

Excellent job, they are all very cutes and the barbershop pole on the note is pretty neat too.

Mer said...

Those are SOOO cute!