I'll start with Randall. Randall was chosen for the character trait "Trustworthy". When he got in the car Thursday, he said, "I want you to check my planner right now and not wait until we get home." I asked him why and he just grinned and handed me his planner. Inside, his teacher had written that he was the star that week and would be honored at the assembly. He was so excited.
Earlier in the week, he'd brought home a note saying he got to sing the Good Morning song at the assembly with the other students that had been chosen, all for their big smiles and good attitudes while singing in music class. He was excited about that and then when he found out he was Star Student, too, he said, "I can't wait for Friday! It's going to be a GREAT day!" He was right! It was so fun to watch him be so excited and just grin all morning.
Here he is on stage singing.
Randall and his teacher, Ms. Thornburgh. She had such sweet things to say about him and has been such a wonderful teacher for his personality. She is patient and so sweet.
I am so thankful to God that He knew that Randall needed her.
Proud Mama
Proud kid. Randall didn't stop smiling the whole assembly. And it was contagious because neither did Slade or I. *smile*
I won't write out everything Ms. Thornburgh said, but one thing she said that stuck out to me was, "When I tell the class to do a specific task, I know that Randall will be doing it. I can trust him to do what he's supposed to do." That's one of the areas we struggle with at home because he gets distracted so easily and we feel like we never know if he's going to be doing what he's supposed to be doing or some random thing that caught his attention. *grin* I was so glad to know that he's dependable and trustworthy.
Russell was chosen for the character trait "Personal Best". Personal Best is talking about always doing your best and giving 100% in whatever you are doing.
Unlike Randall, Russ said he wasn't excited to be the Star and he didn't even look up when Mrs. Vazquez announced it to the class. He was joking, but it was interesting to see the difference in how he and Randall expressed their emotions. Now that Russell is in third grade, he's really aware of what is and isn't cool. It's no longer cool to run up to accept your Star Student ribbon at assembly (in Russell's opinion--I did see other third through fifth graders running up to get theirs). But, I did notice that he was walking very quickly and grinning from ear to ear.
Here, Mrs. Vazquez is pinning his ribbon on. He's holding their class mascot "Lil Lobo". Each class has a mascot and the Star Student gets to take it home for the weekend and write in it's journal about what they did together.
Such a handsome kid. And Russell's teacher has also been wonderful this year, too. From what Russ shares, she really talks to the class and he'll tell us about her family and things like that. Russell hasn't whined one time this year about disliking school or about having to go.
So proud of him!
What a joy to be a part of a school that is teaching our kids about positive qualities that they should be exhibiting. And, it's such a special experience for each student to be chosen and celebrated. Yay for two awesome PEPsters!

1 comments:
Yay for Russell and Randall!! And that's cool that I told you the same thing about Randall in regards to Sunday school. I know that if there is something the kids are supposed to be doing...he'll be doing it. :)
Post a Comment