Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day of School Pictures

Well, the boys have survived two days of school and are getting into the routine of things. Here they are on their first day:

This was what I got when I said, "1-2-3, Smile!"


Let's try that again...


There we go. Now, let's do them individually.


*sigh* A not-silly one, please Russ.


Thank you. And, Randall.


Geez, what is up with you boys?! Can't I get a normal picture on the first try?


Thank you.

Randall wanted me to count for him, but I knew better... Remember the Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin's dad is trying to get one, just one, good picture of Calvin and Calvin will smile perfectly until his dad gets to "3" and then he'll make some awful face? Yeah, well, that's what Randall wanted to do. Silly kid.

Then we were off for school.


Over the last year and a half, the Hudson PEP students met in an unused school while the old school was totally rebuilt. It is big, beautiful and like a maze!

In the cafeteria, students type in their memorized ID number whenever they get the free breakfast or buy a lunch. Here they are getting breakfast.


The sweet lady on the left is Ms. Lee and she is the wonderful cafeteria lady. She's in charge and you can tell that she rubs off on all the other lunchroom staff. Everyone is very sweet and there are always smiles for the students. I wasn't very pleased with Russ' cafeteria experience in Kindergarten, so we appreciate Ms. Lee and the cafeteria atmosphere at Hudson PEP. Ms. Lee was one of the first people I told two years ago when Russell asked Jesus to be his Savior and she got all teary-eyed and as soon as she saw him, she gave him a big hug and told him how proud she was of him. She remembers so many of the students by name and works to make each one feel special. She's wonderful!

And, Randall with his teacher, Mrs. Thornburg. This is her first year to teach at PEP, but she was a sub last year and I heard good things about her.


Randall hasn't decided yet if he likes school or if he's just going to endure it. But, it got better from the first day to the second, so I hope that continues. He is transitioning from a small, private school to a pretty big, public school and I think it'll take some adjusting. His teacher said he was really sweet, though, when we dropped him off this morning. I appreciated that.

Next, we dropped Russ at his class. His teacher is also new to Hudson PEP, although she's been teaching for years.


My usually quiet and even-tempered Russ has gone on and on both days about Mrs. Vasquez. She did this, she told us about this, she has cool chapter books, she's this old and so on and so on. He's talked as much as Randall has! I'm very pleased to see him having some excitement about school. He loves, loves to read, but usually says he doesn't like school. Maybe this year will be different. I remember having a wonderful teacher in 3rd grade and I pray for him to have the same great experience that I had.

So far, so good. Both boys have been very hungry when they get home and are having to remember how to eat quickly in the amount of time they have. They've also both been tired. But, they're doing well and I am looking forward to a wonderful school year.

2 comments:

Janette said...

I love the way that you write just like you're having a conversation. :) The running commentary over the pictures was too fun! :)

Laura said...

Your boys look so grown up!!