Sunday, August 22, 2010

First Day of School--Dr. Seuss Style

I had a few minutes before calling it a night Sunday evening and I was feeling kinda weird about the first day of school for the boys.

I was feeling torn about them starting back up. This has been a wonderful summer and I feel like we've had a great time and, in some ways, I don't want it to end. We did forget to have our "play the Wii all day" day, but we'll make it up some Saturday.

While the summer went by too quickly and I'm not yet at the point of thinking that school had better start or someone around here is going to die, I confess I am excited about all the changes for this year.

Some things I'm looking forward to:
* Randall and Russ will be at the same school, which makes drop off and pick up so convenient.
* Russ can look out for Randall and be there should Rand have any questions or anything.
* Watching the boys make good decisions about friends and hearing all about their days.
* Watching how God works in their hearts as they go through temptations and scary or new situations.
* Volunteering at PEP and getting to know their teachers and classmates.
* Watching them grow--physically, emotionally and, I pray, spiritually.

Some things I am struggling with:
* Worrying about how Randall will do in the face of so many changes--new school, bigger classes, a lunchroom, etc.
* Feeling bummed that they didn't get the teachers that *I* thought would be best for them and yet knowing that God is big and He is good and He is with them.
* Imagining the worst-case scenarios of the boys making bad decisions and getting labeled by teachers or others in authority.
* Wondering if Randall will get overwhelmed with everything and have a lovely meltdown.

The whole homeschool/private school/public school debate always weighs on my mind as a new year approaches. I don't think that public school is always the best decision for every child, but right now, at this point, we feel like Hudson PEP is the best place for the boys. Will it be the best place next year? We don't know. We will prayerfully make the best decision when next year gets here.

But, every year, I find myself feeling sad that I won't be a part of their experiences at school. It's how it should be because they need to learn independence. But, it's scary to let go every year. However, I am comforted with the complete knowledge that God is with them, that He has led us to this point, that He loves Russell and Randall more than I ever could and that He desires to grow them and not hurt them.

So, with that said...

I have to also confess that there is a part of me that is really looking forward to having my days to myself. I know I will miss the kids, but since I don't work, I get to be a stay-at-home mom with no kids at home for the whole day. And, with this new little one on the way, I know that it will be at least another 5 years before I get to experience this again.

So, in not-so-true Dr. Seuss fashion, I have written a little poem that expresses a little of what I am feeling.

First Day of School


‎'Twas the night before the first day of school and all through the house,
Not a child was stirring, they were quiet as a mouse.

Lunchboxes were packed in the fridge with care;
Hope they eat what I packed, even though I'm not there.

Uniforms were chosen, laid out on the floor;
Mama peeked in to kiss them and then shut the door.

Then out in the hallway, there rose such a clatter,
I hope Daddy didn't hear me, he'd wonder what was the matter.

It was Mama dancing and singing with joy,
Knowing she would get 7 hours with nary a boy.

Daddy shook his head to see such a sight...
Happy Day Before School Starts and to all a good night!


*grin* I will enjoy my free time while I have it.

0 comments: