After school, my mom will be picking Randall and Julia up (I picked Rand up last week since it was his first week and I wanted to make sure he was adjusting well and all) and I pick up Russ and Josh. I also pick up Danielle and a friend from church who lives just a few streets over named Jennie. I was only going to pick the girls up on Tuesdays and Thursdays because their moms work, but I figured since I had to pick Russ and Josh up anyway, I might as well just pick them up, too. It's not out of my way, I have lots of room in the van and they both have younger kiddos that really need to be napping during that time anyway.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, the girls come to our house until their Moms come get them, so we don't get to chores until after dinner on those days. I wondered how the boys would do getting back into the routine of only 10-15 minutes of Wii a day and only if your chores are finished. They've done wonderfully. They play outside or eat a snack or whatever and then when it's time for chores, both have just hopped right to it.
I debated making their chores easier once school started because I didn't want them to lose play time just to empty the dishwasher or whatever, but then I decided that it's still important for them to learn to balance responsibilities with fun, so we kept all the same chores. The boys have surprised me because they've gotten quicker with their chores to make up for the loss of extra time. And, their attitudes are wonderful. Russ has had a great attitude starting back to piano after a summer of no lessons or practicing and he's even enjoying it.
Our first MOPS meeting of the year is tomorrow and I'm very, very excited about it. I think this is going to be a great year and I'm looking forward to it. This next week is unusual with Labor Day today, but I think I'm getting into a routine that will hopefully include blogging on a more regular basis.
Since no post is complete without a photo, here's Randall putting away clean dishes from the dishwasher.

2 comments:
So glad to hear that Russ is enjoying piano after the summer break. It is great to have him again.
You are encouraging about keeping the chores for the boys. I really tend to lighten up on Taylor during the school year, but then our evenings don't start until about 6:30 when everyone is gone from lessons, so that only leave 2 hours until bed time...I need to be more diligent with her and Me.
Way to go, Randall, keep up the great job doing those chores! Love that picture!
Post a Comment