At one of the garage sales we went to, my mom and I found a fun Lego phone. I paid $4 for it, cleaned it up when I got home, and I'll wrap it for Russell for Christmas. Later, I was looking around on eBay and found this. It's the exact same phone I bought for four bucks. I was watching 4 different auctions with the same phones to see how much they all went for. They all sold for over $30. If you do a search for Lego phone or Lego telephone, you can find 4 or 5 active ones right now.
For a split second, after seeing all the auctions, I considered getting something else for Russell and selling the phone to pay our house payment this month. But, then I remembered that I had bought the phone for Russell, not for reselling on eBay.
But, I was tempted...
So, what would you do: give the gift, as originally intended, or try to sell it and get something else? There is no right or wrong answer, I'm just curious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I think I would sell it if it is a real working phone and not just a toy.
I would decided which he would rather have - the phone or something I could buy him with the money -- although you aren't going to get much for 4 bucks.
So I'd probably give him the phone.
I say give it to Russ for Christmas and when he's older and wants to get rid of it it will be worth twice as much as it is now. Lego's will never go out of style! Great find!
Can't say what I'd do... my kiddo is pretty easy about toys.
Congrats on your great find!
Well, is it something that he has been really wanting?? If not I would probably sell it. What a great find!!
Wow, your house payment is $30???
(give him the phone!)
I was being sarcastic about the money made from selling it going to our house payment. :-) It's hard to type sarcasm... :-)
It is a real, working phone, and he doesn't really ever talk on the phone. And, there's not a good jack for the phone... But, it's so cool that it looks like it's really made out of Legos! He loves Legos.
I like the idea of giving it to him and he can sell it himself when he's older and cares. :-)
Even if you got 30 bucks for it, you probably wouldn't find something that cool to replace it for 30 bucks. Unless you scored something else awesome at another garage sale... =)
I saw one that sold for $90 and you could buy something really good for that much money.
But it is true that if you hold on to it for a while the value will probably go up.
How cool of God to give you something that could be a very high priced collector's item.
Sounds like it's a good investment for him.
Post a Comment