Friday, September 26, 2008

Um, we found the hamster...

Well, we found Pepper yesterday. Follow your nose, it always knows...

I started to smell something yesterday morning and just knew it meant Pepper was dead. I began moving stuff last night out of a bottom cabinet after emptying the trash and checking in the fridge for yucky food. I knew then it must have been her.

She must've climbed up my cookie cooling rack in the bottom cabinet and fallen into a glass vase that she couldn't get out of. I could just barely make out her form in the glass vase at the back of the cabinet. I called Slade and he disposed of her. I was so sure she had gotten out of the house, and knowing she was so close and yet we just didn't know it, made me feel so sad.

These dumb hamsters have made my emotions run the gamut! Now I kinda don't want to get rid of the other (still nameless after all these many, many months--although we sometimes call her Salty) hamster. I want to do better by her than we did with Pepper. Surely if we had loved Pepper more, she wouldn't have run away, right?!

A short look at her life:

Here she is, with Bashful (who ended up being a boy hamster and obviously, wasn't so Bashful after all).


Here she is after we discovered that Bashful wasn't a girl...


Having baby hamsters was similar to having baby humans. Except I wasn't ever worried that I might eat my baby humans and I did have to watch out for Pepper and her baby hamsters.

Teaching the little ones to drive...


Anyway, I guess we'll be keeping nameless hamster after all. (Since none of you volunteered to give her a better home!) Randall is glad and Russ doesn't seem to care either way.

We didn't tell them about finding Pepper because we figured it was unnecessary.

So, here's to Pepper. You lived a short, but fruitful life.

Sometimes, though, we just want to get out and explore...

9 comments:

ma P said...

Hi Jaime, sorry about Pepper. but glad you got the smell out!!

we've had some unfortunate situations with hamster babies. it tends to "cure" one from wanting to have any more.

when you get a chance, check out my blog. it's very "me".
and thanks for leading me along the blogging path. I'm proud of what I've done today.

pw

Josie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josie said...

So sad to hear about Pepper. But I love the memories that you capture with her. I especially love her teaching the little ones to drive.

The Peacock Pearl said...

in the words of dave... that's tragic! :/

hangnwjesus said...

that makes me sad!! (And I don't really even like hamsters.) We thought about offering nameless a home, but I was afraid our dogs might eat him! I think Ryan would love to play with your hamster, so I'll have to think about that next time we're over.

Sarah

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry!

My first shot a babysitting for one family happened to be the night that ALL the hamsters got out.

"How many are there sweeti?"
"I don't know"
"You don't know?"
"No, they just had babies"
"Oh"
(wailing) "I just squished one behind the doooooooor!!!!!"

Adventures in babysitting... I love the little pets though!

Stephanie said...

I don't think if you loved her more she would have stayed around. They always say at the pet stores to get a rat because rats are smart and teachable. I don't think that's the case with a hamster. Sorry though about Pepper. It is sad. I love the pictures though and how much fun you had with her. They are great.

Mer said...

Aww...sad story my friend. I'm very sorry. I love the pics if it helps:)

Mommy Lion said...

That's too bad??? Or maybe it's good news one down, one to go . . .just kidding! But don't you think Russ will find out when he reads your blog?!? *smile*