Friday, May 02, 2008

Poor Man's Steak

I wanted to share a recipe I made this week that was wonderful!

Poor Man's Steak
2 lbs hamburger meat (I used 93/7)
1/2 onion, chopped small
1 stick celery, chopped small
1 stick butter, softened (I actually left this out and it was still great)
1 1/2 sticks crackers, crushed (I like Saltines best, but Ritz would give some of the buttery taste without the butter)
bacon (I used turkey bacon)

Mix well with hands. Shape into hamburger patties and wrap each patty with bacon. Secure with toothpicks that have been soaked in water. Cook as desired.

We grilled ours and they were delicious!

I made 5 fat patties and still had enough meat left over to make 2 dozen meatballs! Since I used the 93/7 meat (you could use turkey meat, too), there was hardly any grease in the meatball pan. These would be great for company or to shape and freeze (cooked or uncooked).

I used half the meatballs for spaghetti and meatballs the next night and have half saved for meatball subs later this week. The onion and celery really flavor the meat!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! I definitely want to try this recipe. We bought 1/4 cow recently so I'm looking for all kinds of creative ways to use beef : ) Thanks for posting this. Hope all is well with your family!