Monday, November 05, 2007

And then there were five...

I noticed this morning that one of the hamsters seemed very small and weak. I was worried that it wasn't getting enough to eat so I took Pepper and the two smallest hamsters and put them in a little bug catcher cage that Randall had. I went back in later to check and see if Pepper was nursing them and there was a hole in the net and no Pepper. The cage was sitting on top of the dresser in the guest room and there was no Pepper anywhere on the dresser. There was also no Pepper dead at the bottom of the dresser from falling off. So, I had no clue where she had gone. And, the two little ones that were supposed to be getting more attention were left shivering in the bug catcher cage.

So, I put them back in with their brothers and sisters so they could warm up and I could tell that the smallest one was just very cold and seemed to be hardly breathing. Just as I got the hamsters back in the regular cage, who should scurry by, but Pepper. So, I put her back in, too.

Then I got the bright idea to take out the big and fat babies and leave the thin, skinny ones so they could nurse. So, I put the big babies in the bug catcher cage, since they weren't able to climb out Pepper's hole and left the others in the cage with Mama.

That seemed to go well and Pepper nursed them like a good Mama.

Then I put the others back in the cage and we left to get Russ from school. When we got home, I could tell that the little one was just not going to make it. Pepper kept scooting away from it and not nursing it or keeping it warm or anything. I just cried and prayed for a miracle.

We went to the park for a picnic dinner with Christy, Kyle and their kids and when we got home, it was pretty much gone. He was laying on his back, tucked into a corner of the upper room, with his mouth open and just barely breathing. I called my Mom to see what I should do and she said to just wait until it died and then throw it away. *sniff* She was so sweet and sympathetic and I just cried. I know that this is a natural and normal thing, but it was so hard to watch the little thing slowly die, knowing there was nothing I could do.

After we put the boys in bed, it was gone and Slade took care of it for me. Not seeing it in the cage does make it easier, but I still feel sad. The boys have handled it surprisingly well, even seeing my tears. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing... But I'm thankful that it won't give them nightmares or anything.

I've decided that once the babies are weaned, which should be within the next week or so, I want to keep Pepper and one of her daughters and give away Bashful and the remaining 4 babies. I kinda want to give them away in sets of 2 so they have playmates, but I don't have an even number now. I guess Bashful would be the best one to give away alone since the babies are still little and probably need each other for heat and comfort. (Or am I giving them human feelings again?...) So, we'll see how that all pans out.

It is neat to see Pepper being a good Mama, though. The other day, I noticed that she had brought some seeds up into the upper room for the babies to chew on. Their little eyes still aren't open and they're already gnawing on seeds. It's so cute to watch their little paws hold the seeds and their little mouths open to eat.

It's been hard having these babies around to worry about, but it's also been neat to see how God works all the details out and gives the Mama instincts to know what to do, even as a first-time Mama.