Saturday, October 27, 2007

Hamster Updates

Well, still six baby hamsters and the one I had been worried about seems to be doing fine. Whew.

I told Randall when we picked Russ up from school the day the babies were born that we were going to surprise Russ. I asked Randall if he could keep the surprise to himself and not tell Russ. He said he could.

It went something like this...

We hug Russ when he comes out and we head to the van.

Randall: We have a surprise, Russell, but... no, we don't have a surprise, I was just kidding.

Me: Actually, yes, we do have a surprise for you Russell, but we want you to see it before we tell you.

Randall: Yeah, and I'm not telling you what the surprise is.

Russ: Oh.

Me: Actually, you'll get to see a picture on the computer of what the surprise is.

Russ: Huh?

Randall: The surprise is... um, leaves! I'm just kidding. I just didn't want to tell you what the surprise was.

Me: Um, Randall, let's just not talk about it anymore until we get home. I'm afraid you're actually kinda lying...

Randall: I just don't want to tell Russ the surprise!

Me: I know, I just don't want you to lie in your attempt to keep our surprise.

Randall: Okay.

Russ: Hmm.

As you can tell, Randall was very excited about our surprise and Russ didn't really care.

Well, here's Russ' face when he saw the picture of the hamsters on the computer. It turned out to be a good surprise for him and he thought the baby hamsters were pretty neat.


Here's Bashful's new home. I keep thinking he might be sad and miss Pepper, but I'm probably giving him people feelings and forgetting he's a hamster. I keep worrying that he's miserable or lonely or confused and I have to just not think about it. :-)


Since that picture was taken, we've added a new little house and a toilet paper roll for more excitement. I can't tell if it's helping...

Here's Pepper standing up and trying to see/get out and a few of her little babies.


Six little hairless babies.


After I disturbed her by opening the top on the little upper room, she took off and headed to the wheel to run. Working off that pregnancy weight. :-)


And, like all mothers of newborns, she just needs to get out!


Can you imagine having 6 newborns to care for?! I guess I just might eat one, if I had that many to nurse, too...

0 comments: