Well, we had seven baby hamsters yesterday, but only six today... It makes me sad even though I know there's nothing I can do. The worst part is, I have to assume Pepper ate it because I don't see a body... It makes me want to cry just thinking about it. And it grosses me out. And it makes me feel angry at Pepper.
I keep going in the guest room where Pepper and her babies are vacationing until they are a little older and petting her... and counting the babies. Still six. Their pink skin is so thin and transluscent and one of the babies looks like it might be bleeding internally, but it might just be no big deal. I'm trying not to worry about it, but I do keep double checking... and counting.
We went to Wet Pets 'N Critters today to get an exercise wheel for Bashful (also known as Dash around here because Russ said we need to rename her, I mean, him). I debated getting another cage and just keeping both our original hamsters in separate cages, but that's just a big expense, not to mention the extra work of keeping two cages clean, so I decided we'll have to get rid of one. I don't know which one! I like them both. Maybe we'll get attached to one of the babies and whichever sex it is, we can keep the same sex parent. I don't know. Geez, so many big decisions! :-)
I took some more pictures of Pepper and her little ones, but I'm too lazy to upload them to the computer, so maybe tomorrow. Their eyes are still closed and they make the sweetest little squeaking sounds. If anyone wants to come see them, let me know! Especially if you're considering adopting! Of course, right now, all you can do is look, but in a few weeks, you can hold them, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Aw, that is so sad. Kinda makes you wonder what God had in mind when he gave hamsters the instinct to eat their young. I guess it makes sense if there was something wrong with the baby, but it's still very sad. I've thought about getting Abigail a hamster but I can't make it down there for a while so I'm sure you'll want to have them all gone by then.
I remember my mom having a shirt that said something like "Mothers of Teenagers understand why some animals eat their young" and I have always thought that was hilarious (and that replacing teenagers with toddlers was even funnier, at this point in our lives), but now it's not so funny... :-/
It will probably be a month or so before we can even start giving the hamsters away. If you think you might be down within the next few months, I could hold one for you. I don't know how it would do in the car traveling back to your home, but it might be no big deal. Just let me know. :-)
Post a Comment