Friday, September 14, 2007

Budgeting

Well, Slade and I sat down and went over our budget. We decided that we need to make our budget fit the kind of paycheck he'll probably be getting when he's in full-time ministry. So, we cut back where we could and shifted and such. Somehow, we made it work! So, if we stick to it, we should be building up a nice little nest egg (that we had been building up and then went through to buy Slade's car and then fix some unexpected things on that car--ugh!).

It was very reassuring to see that we can make it when he takes a cut in pay. Lately, we have had a lot of negatives in the budget and that was worrying me. I don't know where we could cut back (besides the ones we've always struggled with--entertainment/eating out and... um, clothing...) and I was feeling overwhelmed. But, we figured it all out and if we (mostly I) can curb the impulsive buying ("Oh, it's on sale!" or "Even though we went out last night, let's go out tonight anyway." or "But it's on sale!" or "We'll probably need it someday at some point for someone...and, besides, it's on sale!"), then we should be okay. And, curbing the impulse buying is a good thing to do anyway!

Going over the budget ended up being such a relief (instead of a stress) and such confirmation that we are doing what God wants us to do. Not only can we live on the smaller paycheck, but we have been able to save some for seminary right now. I don't know if we'll be able to do it completely debt-free, but that's our goal. And, I know it's not too big a goal for God. It's neat to see how God has directed us this far and how events from the past have led us here, which is right where we know God wants us. Things that seem like neat coincidences are really amazing God directions. It gives me such a peace, in the midst of the unknown and the uncertain, to know that God knows and is certain and that we can rest in Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With Slade's car being what it is -- an ex-police car -- couldn't he generate extra money by simply pulling people over and giving them tickets? Heh-heh-heh.
Uncle Phantom

Anonymous said...

Be encouraged Jaime! You guys are moving in the right direction, and I think God will honor your family for it :)

You are right...nothing is too big for God.