...really, really wanna-wanna be just like the Lord!
AWANA starts up this Sunday. Russell is going to be a Spark. Time flies. We've been working on his lesson and he has just learned it so quickly and so well. He knows everything except the song, but I've been singing it (I was a Spark for Jesus, too, back in the day) so that when he hears it in AWANA, he'll recognize it and it won't take long for him to learn it. I've been impressed with how quickly he has memorized everything.
I've also been amazed at how much of Russell's lesson Randall has memorized, too. We decided not to put Randall in Cubbies since going to Sunday School still causes tears. Why make him (and us) go through it a second time if it's not necessary. However, we might reconsider once he gets over crying when he's dropped off, because he memorizes amazingly quickly, too! He knows John 3:16 (with helps, of course) and the pledge to the American flag (from BSF) and most of the pledge to the AWANA flag. He just laughs when I tell him how cool it is that he knows Russell's lesson, too. Or maybe we'll just let him keep memorizing Russell's verses and not worry about Cubbies.
The Sparks' key verse is John 3:16 and over the course of the last few days, as Russell has worked on memorizing it, I've explained more and more of what it means. The boys are both so good at listening. We usually have our deepest discussions in the car. (ie: do animals go to Heaven, where is Heaven, why it's not okay for you to be a bully, whether Mommy and Daddy will die first or if they will, etc.) There have been many times where I have gotten choked up while driving and discussing some neat things. We have such an awesome responsibility as Christian parents and discussing some of these important issues (like how it is worshipping God to memorize Bible verses just like singing and reading the Bible are worshipping God) makes my heart feel so full of thankfulness for a God who helps me parent.
These neat conversations also convict me that just teaching my kids the right things isn't enough. I need to be more consistent in my own Bible study and prayer time. Praying for the boys is one of the most important things I can do for them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
You know, Jaime, one of the main reasons I became such the "jeenyus" I am is that my older sister would come home from school and teach me all the neat stuff she learned that day. In kindergarten I was caught during play time with a book (remember, this was even before Sesame Street), and the teacher basically said, "Yeah, right. Then you can read the book to the whole class." I did. You keep encouraging Russ to help his brother along! Uncle Phantom
Post a Comment