Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Overnight French Toast

I had so much fun over the summer having a menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I've decided to keep it going during the school year, too. The boys' school offers free breakfasts that are pretty healthy (unless you're Randall and you get Lucky Charms every morning), but I enjoy those few minutes together before they rush off with Slade for school.

I try to vary what they eat so they don't get too picky or stuck on one food. So, this morning, we had Overnight French Toast. I assembled it last night and it was very easy and quick. I served it with banana slices, milk and warm syrup for dipping.

Overnight French Toast
from the book Cool Meals to Start Your Wheels

Ingredients:
1 24-in baguette (I used wheat bread, but I've also used french bread)
4 large eggs
2/3 C whole milk
1/4 t salt
4 t sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
opt: 1 t orange zest and 1 T orange juice
cream cheese frosting for dipping

Directions:
The night before, cut bread into 3/4-inch slices (I cut my slices of bread into strips to make french toast dipping sticks--more time consuming, but the kids liked getting to hold them and dip them). Put into 9x13 pan.
Whisk eggs, milk and salt. Pour over bread. Let sit 10 min. Turn each piece over. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The morning of, preheat oven to 450. Grease baking sheet. Put bread, wet side up, on baking sheet. Mix cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over bread. Bake 15-20 min.
Place slices, bottom up, on serving plates.


Shhh, that's not my picture. I stole it from google images... But, that's very similar to what they looked like.

It was simple, but still took a bit of time to preheat the oven and bake the french toast. I'll remember that next time. Everyone loved it and it was fun and different.

1 comments:

Ariana said...

- Add to my recipe repertoire for Sunday mornings...
Thanks Jaime!