Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Piano Playin' Fool

Russell had a Skills Festival last Friday at UT Tyler. He had a friend spend the night and we just made an evening of it. We ate at a Mexican restaurant and then headed to Russ' competition.

There were 3 parts: harmonization, scales and sight reading. And, it wasn't just scales, there was a word for that... Geez, don't I listen well...

Anyway, the students were judged on how well they performed for a judge in a room by themselves. Russell's teacher, Charity, was surprised that Russ wasn't nervous at all. I suppose there are some perks to him not really wanting to do piano--he doesn't feel the stress or pressure some kids might.

As always, he did great! He truly is a natural; which is why he's still taking even though he thinks he needs to quit.

He got 2 blue ribbons and 1 red. That's like two A's and a B+.


The red ribbon was in sight-reading, which is really the hardest part for most kids.

I asked Russ to pose for a picture with his ribbons and after the first shot above, he began simply humoring me. He was very excited to get the ribbons after the competition and that's when I should've taken the picture... obviously...


He's a piano playin' fool! And, we're very proud of him.

1 comments:

Piano mom said...

Are you trying to remember the scales & triads?

I was really proud of him too. It was a fun evening. Now we focus on repetoire for the March performance.