Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How do you spell 'frustration'?

Very similarly to how you spell 'chaos'...

Except this time, you spell 'frustration' W-a-i-t-i-n-g-f-o-r-c-o-u-n-t-e-r-t-o-p-s!
We got a call last Friday saying that the installer would be here Monday morning between 8 and 8:30 am. Whoo hoo! So, Sunday night, I emptied my lower cabinets out to avoid everything getting covered in dust during the installation.

Here is my kitchen table:


Here is my living room floor by the back door:


Monday morning comes. 9:00 comes. 9:30 comes. They're running a little late...

Finally, I call Lowe's and am told that, oops, they were supposed to call me because one part of the counter tops didn't come in and they'll have to reschedule after they get that piece in.

Sigh.

So, I have to live around the mess? I wasn't mad, but I was very disappointed. I think the installer could tell I was bummed because he said he'd be there the next morning (this morning) and would do the parts he had and then go get the final part that should have been on the delivery truck this morning.

So, here's a picture of my old cabinets so I can compare when the new ones are finished...


Here's the beginning of the demolition. He banged and scraped and hammered to get the back splash off. It was a wonderful sound! Well, it was a really loud sound, but it meant that we were making progress, so it was wonderful in that respect.


Unfortunately, that's where the good news ends.

The installer, John, was very apologetic and since it's not his fault, I don't hold it against him. But, the delivery truck came in this morning, minus the missing piece. And, two of the three pieces that he did have weren't the correct size.

So, here's the incomplete look that I get to live with while two new pieces are ordered and the final piece is located, somewhere between here and Shreveport.


There are about 5 inches of counter top missing to the right of the stove and on the other side of the kitchen, to the left of the fridge.

Sigh.

I'm frustrated. I vacumed out the cabinets and will put everything back in, just so it's not sitting out, in the way. But, I called the manager over Service something-or-another and expressed (kindly, but with frustration in my voice, I'm sure) that I was disappointed. He said that they would like to make it up to me, either with some money back or money off of a new sink. I appreciated how quickly he offered to make restitution, and it helps a little, but I'm still feeling bummed. I know it's not necessarily anyone's fault, but it just wasn't what I was expecting.

So, the remodel continues...

9 comments:

Mommy Lion said...

So sorry friend!

Blake even said "Now that doesn't look good!" When he saw the pictures! *frown*

But hey discount on a new sink is a great perk! *wink*

Mer said...

ugghh...that is frustrating. No worries...VD is right around the corner...ha ha ha ha!

Josie said...

That is so frustrating but just remember its going to look GREAT when its done.

Ruth said...

Let's be glad that pieces of your kitchen aren't outside in your bushes! I truly understand your frustration. You come by it naturally, I'm afraid.

Anonymous said...

Jaime what are you doing for the backsplash? It's gonna be rad! I'm envious. My kitch is still to'e up from the flo' up. But my stain just came in last week. Now I have no time to do it. Some day...lol.

Jaime said...

Yes, Mom, I am glad that it's not on the bushes! And, it's only a week or two, not a month or two... :-) Right? :-)

Jen, I have no clue! I'm considering just giving it that "swoop" texture (not the real name, just my name for it) and painting it. Any suggestions?!

Anonymous said...

Subway tiles might look nice. They are cheap, but classy.

Jaime said...

Jen, I am going to assume that by "Subway tiles" you are not talking about the healthy fast-food restaurant... What are Subway tiles? Where would I buy them? Where can I see them to see if I like them? Am I the only one that hasn't heard of them? :-)

Jessica said...

re-modeling is for the birds! i hope your new kitchen looks amazing and that it lasts you until you move. (we need new counter tops too, but I am sticking with yellow to avoid stress.) i can't wait to see the finished pics. I'm sure it will look AMAZING!!!