Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Someone needs to teach my kids...

...how to appreciate cold weather foods!

Monday night we had White Chicken Chili (I just follow the directions on the back of McCormick's seasoning envelope and I add all the extras they suggest--corn, tomatoes, etc) with avocado slices and tortilla chips. Both boys wrinkled their noses and whined. They ate, but begrudgingly.

Tuesday night, I made crockpot beans and my neighbor, Allison's delicious recipe for Buttery Cornbread. They ate the cornbread, but didn't appreciate the beans. I think you have to eat both together for the full effect!

Tonight, we're having Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup and Red Lobster's Cheddar Biscuits. I already know how the meal will go. *grin*

But, I'm not giving up! I will teach my kids to like more than "meat and potatoes".

I had a few people ask for the soup and biscuits recipes on my Facebook, so I thought I'd post it here. Let me know if you try it and what you think of it! It's a great last-minute recipe, because you'll probably have everything already on hand. Possibly not the Velveeta or the Biscuick, but probably everything else.

Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup

4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 pkg frozen, chopped broccoli florets
1 can cream mushroom soup
1 can cream chicken soup
1 T. chicken boullion
1 C. cubed Velveeta
1/2 C. shredded cheddar cheese

Cover potatoes with water (I usually do about an inch extra water on top) in large pot and cook until tender. Add frozen broccoli and cook 10 minutes. Add soups and boullion. Stir, cook 5 minutes on medium low. Add cheeses. Let simmer on low, stirring often.

This is intended to be a thick, hearty soup, but if it is too thick, add milk to thin to your preference. Feel free to salt and pepper as desired.

Red Lobster Cheddar Rolls
2 1/2 C. Bisquick
3/4 C. cold milk
4 T. cold butter
1/4 t. garlic powder
1 C. (or more) shredded cheese

2 T. melted butter
1/4 t. dried parsley
1/2 t. garlic powder
pinch salt

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Combine Bisquick with cold butter in a medium bowl using a pastry cutter or a large fork. You don't want to mix too thoroughly. There should be small chunks of butter in there that are about the size of peas. Add cheddar cheese, milk, and 1/4 t. garlic. Mix by hand until combined, but don't over mix.

Drop approximately 1/4 cup portions of the dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits begin to turn light brown.

When you take the biscuits out of the oven, melt 2 tablespoons butter is a small bowl. Stir in 1/2 t. garlic powder and the dried parsley flakes. Use a brush to spread this garlic butter over the tops of all the biscuits. Use up all of the butter. Makes one dozen biscuits.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Ahh, you've discovered McCormick's chicken chili too! I went nuts after I tried a packet, then couldn't find ANY at ANY local stores later!

I finally found some and bought 10 packets, haha. It's COLD around here, that's my excuse!

Anonymous said...

How are you so thin eating all this yummy goodness?! *wink*