Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Thoughts on the Election

Well, Obama made history last night. It is kinda neat to have our first black president, just as it would have been neat to have our first female vice-president, had McCain won.

I went to bed feeling... numb? sad? I don't know what. I think Obama has some good ideas and plans and I look forward to seeing them come to fruition. But, I also think he's proven himself to be a liar and I am curious (and a little scared) to see where that will take us.

I think McCain's speech was a positive one and I thought it interesting that as he encouraged Republicans and his supporters to rally behind Obama, Obama's supporters in Washington, DC, flooded "the streets near the White House, carrying balloons, banging on drums and chanting, "Bush is gone!"" I know Bush has made some bad choices and that the economy is struggling in a big way (maybe Bush's fault? maybe not?), but those displays of childishness make me not proud to be an American. Those are the times when I wish I were their mother and could spank them and remind them that we don't gloat when someone "loses". Makes me feel like I'm on the elementary playground, listening to kids taunt or pick on a kid that has maybe earned their displeasure, but still doesn't deserve their meanness, because no one deserves that kind of treatment.

Free speech, yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah.

Obama has a big job ahead of himself. While I don't support him wholeheartedly, I will pray for him and ask that God give him wisdom, discernment, and eyes to see areas where he can make a positive difference.

Slade and I were talking before we knew the final outcome and we said that if Obama hadn't won, African Americans would say "it's because he's black!". And, I know that there are people out there that can't get past race; maybe they even voted for McCain, not because they agreed with anything he said, but because he was white. I hope and pray that this experience will help them to see past color. I hope "white" Americans don't judge him on the basis of his color. However, I also hope that African Americans won't cut him any slack should he make poor decisions just because of his color, either.

I know there are older blacks that have scars, physical and emotional, from beatings and treatment because of their color. I know they are ecstatic to see a black president. And, for their sake, I am, too. I hope this will help America to get over what color people are. Who cares?!

So, now let's get past color and race and move on to watching how Obama does as President. I will watch proactively as I pray for him and teach my kids to pray for him. My friend, Terri, introduced me to a book last year called Kids Who Pray for the U.S.A. (You can get it dirt-cheap if you follow that link.)


I think Russell is old enough to understand a lot of it, so we'll be starting it. It will be a good lesson on how the government works (on his level) and how he can be a part of it, even when he's too young to vote.

Well, time will tell. I am disappointed that the race wasn't closer and even more disappointed that McCain didn't win. Of course, since I made my opinion clear beforehand, I have the freedom to whine and complain should I dislike what Obama does, right? Okay, just kidding.

There is a part of me that feels on edge waiting to see what decisions Obama makes or what laws he passes/tries to pass where abortion is concerned. Abortion worries me more than gay marriage because babies without a voice are affected. Again, time will tell.

President of the United States of America: Barack Obama

Supreme Ruler of the World: God

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Well said, Jaime! I'm trying to stay optimistic but I'm overwhelmed by how deceived so many people have become and it honestly frightens me. Aaron Ponce wrote a comment on facebook that really got under my skin "Aaron Ponce is CONFIDENT that now the ignorance, intolerance, and religious bigotry in American society will be challenged once and for all. Diversity is a reality tonight."

I'm hoping I'm wrong but they don't know what we're in for!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with this. I went through the same range of emotions.

Alison H. said...

Thank you Jaime!! It sounds like we had the exact same feelings as we watched last night. At least you haven't had to read numerous hateful Bush bumper stickers here in the capital city! I have enjoyed reading your posts about the election.

Life with the Akin Clan said...

Thank you for getting into my head and writing what I was feeling! Very well written Jaime!

Anonymous said...

Well spoken, my Girl, well spoken. We all need to pray hard for him right now, when he chooses the people who will surround him. He needs to choose people who aren't afraid to tell him "NO" or "You might want to reconsider that." Not just yes men. His slogan was "Yes we can!" As Americans we all need to say, "Now you'd better!" Uncle Phantom

Mimi K said...

Great Post