Saturday, November 22, 2008

Some Updates

Well, a huge thank you to everyone that encouraged me on my post about our long day. Did anyone recognize the title as being one of the songs from... Oh, geez, I just forgot the name of the play... I was a secretary in a play in high school and that song was one of the songs in it... Oh, well, I guess it loses a little something when even I can't remember. Anyone else?

Anyway, thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. The next day was a wonderful day and Randall was back to his sweet self. We're going to make it.

Unfortunately, Slade said he had to deal with Randall refusing to pick up his jacket off the floor this afternoon, so, I guess we're still learning...

Today, I had my second-to-last craft show of the year in Paris. Texas, that is. Although, it felt as far away as Paris, France when I realized last night that it wasn't a 45 minute drive, it was a 2 hour drive. Why did I do a craft show that far away? Oh, yeah, because it went so well last year. And, it went just as well this year, too.

The show opened at 9, so I had to be there before 8:30 to set up. That meant I had to leave Longview at 6:15. I did it. I didn't want to get out of our warm bed, but I did. And, I wasn't late, I didn't get lost and I didn't get hit when I tried to pass a slow truck on the left. That third one was a close one, though!

I love doing these craft shows and I usually enjoy eavesdropping, nonchalantly, on conversations going on around me. Today, I heard a few interesting comments.

Sentence overheard from one older lady to another as they looked at my refrigerator scrapbooks. "Oh, that's...interesting. What do you think it is?!"

I also heard someone say, "Looks like someone has wa-a-ay too much free time on their hands!" Luckily that one wasn't about me, it was about my neighbor. Still rude, but not personal.

I also laugh (inside, of course) when I explain what something is and I get a slow nod and "Oh, well, how cute..." Like, they don't know what else to say, but there's no way they want to purchase one for themselves.

Paris really comes out for this craft show. I remember that about last year. From the time the doors open until well after lunch, there is a crowd. People everywhere! It was fun. I got very low on everything, but that was partly because I kinda forgot this show was coming up and I didn't really overstock like I usually do. Oh, well, I'll know better next year.

Now, I'm unwinding at the computer while I wait for Slade and the boys to get home from Small Group. I was bummed that I had to miss it because it was at the Nelle's and there were roasted marshmallows. Oh, and a lesson from Slade, fun fellowship, as well as hotdogs over the fire, too. But, roasted marshmallows! I'd request Slade to bring one home, but I know it wouldn't be the same. Oh, well.

I'll leave you with this:

5 comments:

Rachel said...

So glad you had a "normal" sweet day with Randall. He really does sound like a great kid (actually, both of your boys do, I just really really love that itty bitty stage!)

If I were closer, you KNOW I'd be hitting up your shows!

(As a side note... I'm the deaf one, so I'm no use for figuring out songs from plays. But I CAN quote you nearly every line of The Princess Bride!) :)

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

Hey! That's too funny that you can't believe all I do because I can't believe all YOU do! I love the themed nights you guys have been doing and I think how in the world would I plan something like that?! And making all the stuff you do for etsy and craft shows! I'm way too intimidated to try that. =P

Anonymous said...

"Oh, I believe in you....
I believe in you."

...that would've been a more appropriate reply to your last note, especially concerning your parenting!
Now, from your Uncle Killer, the Musical Man, who believes that life should come with a soundtrack, it was "How to Succeed in Life Without Really Trying." I believe Robert Morse was the original broadway star, who then took it to the movies (in the 60s??). The other big hit was "Brotherhood of Man." And now I'm going to be singing it in my head the rest of the evening.

Anonymous said...

Not to be a punk, but it was "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying." I would know as I was in the play with you. Character name: Matthews. Line: Oh, I'm feeling much better thank you. (In response to "Matthews, any news about that breakdown?")

And no, a secretary is not a toy.

"CHIPMUNKS!!!"

Matthew S.