Friday, September 12, 2008

Weekly Life Skill - Trustworthiness

I got a call from Russell's teacher, Ms. Cole, last night and she said, in her very sweet and soft voice, that Russell had been chosen as the Star of the Week for exhibiting this week's life skill - trustworthiness. She continued on to say that out of all her students, Russell has shown that he is trustworthy over and over. She can trust him to take a note to the office or to obey her instructions. She was very positive and invited me to come to their Friday morning PEP rally to see Russ get recognized.

Each week, the whole school focuses on one character trait, or life skill, as they call them. The teachers have a list of all the life skills and, as they get to know their students, they begin plugging each kid into a skill that they have seen the student exhibit.

Every Friday, there is a PEP rally where they start by singing a fun Good Morning song (with motions). Here's Russ and an old (pre-Hudson) friend, Aiden, doing the fun motions and singing the catchy lyrics.


Sweet smiles during the PEP rally.


A real, candid Randall smile. I love it.


An attempt at a picture of Rand and me.


Then they celebrate all the birthdays that week (the birthday kids and Star Students get free ice cream at lunch). They have announcements, say the pledges, sing the Star Spangled Banner and then recognize the Star Students.

Waiting for his name to be called. The kids can earn jeans days on Fridays by doing their weekly reading. They can also wear Hudson PEP or Longview Lobo shirts every Friday. They still have to tuck their shirts in and wear belts, though.


No one but the Star Student knows who got chosen for that trait. It's a surprise for the classmates. (Some classes vote on who they think fits the traits, but the first grade doesn't.) One of Russ' classmates this year was also in his kindergarten class and her mom came up to me after the PEP rally. She leaned over and said, "As Ms. Cole was reading about the person that exhibited trustworthiness and giving examples and such (before she tells who the student is), Tessa said, 'I bet it's Russell.'" I thought that was sweet.

Each teacher gets a few minutes to say some specific ways that their student has shown the specific character trait. Ms. Cole's words were very, very sweet and positive and Russell just listened while she talked. Most of what she said: He can be trusted to always complete his work on time and it will always be completed neatly and carefully. He is an excellent reader who uses a lot of expression when he reads. Along with working hard to complete his assignments, he is kind to his classmates and he is always willing to do anything I ask him to do.

On a side note... I'm very proud of Russell, but I must admit, I wish I got to see this side of him a little more often at home... However, I know that most of our job as parents is to teach at home so that he will do, in public, what he's been taught. We just get some of the growing pains at home that no one else sees. But, I'm very proud that he is doing what he's supposed to do even when I'm not there.

Anyway, when they call the kids' names, they get to run down to the front. They seem to run for everything in the PEP rally... :-)




Then they end by singing the school song.

It's a very upbeat (loud) time and the kids all love it. The counselor also does an impromptu skit that introduces the next week's life skill. It's a positive time that encourages bonding among the students. After the PEP rally, all the classes get to go through the breakfast line and they all eat breakfast together in their classrooms. Isn't that neat?! I love the time given to let them be kids and enjoy each other.

I got a picture of Russ and Ms. Cole, but my camera was acting funny and it took a while to snap. Unfortunately, I caught her with her eyes closed.


We are very thankful for the opportunity Russ has of being at Hudson PEP and for all he is learning.

Ms. Cole caught me on the way out of the gym and said, "Mrs. Rinehart, I just want to tell you that Russell is an example to all of us and I'm very proud to have him in my class." I hope Russell is soaking up all this positive feedback.

I know I've taken the last ten pages to brag on my kid, but this is my blog and I can do that. :-) Don't worry, you can brag on your kiddos on your blogs, too, and I won't mind a bit. :-)

7 comments:

Mommy Lion said...

You have every right to brag . . . Way to go Russ! *smile*

The Peacock Pearl said...

that's awesome!!!!!

Christy said...

Way to go, Russ!!

I always think the same thing - why is s/he so good at school and such a toot at home. Oh wait, I bet the teachers are on their best behavior most of the time and that breeds best behavior out of the kids...maybe if I was on better behavior with my kids. That's why I couldn't be a teacher - I'm not nice enough! LOL!

But I digress. Congratulations, Russell!!!

Rachel said...

Congrats Russ!
And congrats mommy and daddy!

That is just awesome!

Love the pics :)

Life with the Akin Clan said...

Wtg Russell! What an awesome teacher he has! I wish I could pay her to teach mine! ;-)

Wendy said...

I use to love those PEP rallies and I remember getting an award at one, too. Those pictures bring back memories of the Hudson PEP gym and the school in general. I know what you mean when you say you wish you could see all his good traits at home, I am going through that same thing with Abigail. I wonder if they still sing the same school song? (we're gonna sing and shout because without a doubt, we've got a school that's well worth singing about...)

Anonymous said...

This is a bit off-topic, but ... you look sooo much like Christy in the pic of you and Randall! (That's a compliment!)