We had about two weeks where we didn't even really practice at all between lessons. I felt terrible.
My mom has a sweet friend, Nina, that has taken a personal interest in Russell's piano progress. She teaches on a college level and I believe she teaches private lessons, but also teaches teachers to teach. Try saying that 5 times fast...
Anyway, she called my mom out of the blue and asked, "So, has Russell hit the 'I don't want to practice' wall?" I had called my mom at the end of my rope just the week before, so she was able to say, "Well, as a matter of fact..."
Nina said that it was perfectly normal and that Russell had actually made it longer than most kids his age. She gave my mom some ideas, as well as some links to pass on to me.
One idea that we implemented immediately (with a few changes) was a reward chart. The idea Nina gave was that for every 10 days of daily practice, you get a prize. Then at the end of 100 days of every single day practice, you get a big prize. We adapted it a little because we don't practice every day. So, I decided to do a small prize at the end of 10 practices (not in a row, necessarily) and then, instead of waiting for 100 practices for the big one, he will get to choose a big prize at the end of 5o practices.
The small prizes will probably be a small car of some sort. Whether a matchbox car or a new pencil or something, he will think it's great. I will have it wrapped and waiting on the day of his 10th practice. He will have to wait until the end of that day's practice to open it. He has already chosen what he wants his big prize to be--the whole family going rollerblading/skating together one evening.
What a different week of practice this week as compared to the last few weeks. He even got in four practices this week like he's supposed to. He hasn't done that in a very long time. When practices four times in one week, he gets to pick a small prize from Ms. Charity's treasure box.
I so appreciate Nina's advice and help. I have never met her and she has been such a huge help and encouragement.
She also recommended that we get the DVD Sparky's Magic Piano. We found it on Amazon.com and it should be here any day. I want to use the movie as a part of a Family Night of some sort. I want to celebrate Russell's accomplishments, as well as encourage him to continue on and persevere. Any ideas of something fun to do for a Piano Night? Maybe those little tuxedo strawberries since great pianists dress up for concerts?
I am feeling encouraged and energized and I'm ready to take on the piano practice monster again. Actually, the monster seems much smaller now, thanks to Nina's help.
A picture from practice this week. Don't worry, this pose only lasted through one song.

4 comments:
ooh ooh... if you'd like to borrow some instruments (tamborines, triangles, rhythm stick, etc...) feel free, just not on a tuesday :)
on the fmaily fun website they had this sandwich setup that had long skinny sandwiches with white bread and then shorter skinny sandwiches with whole wheat bread (or maybe it was pumpernikel) and they arranged them to look like piano keys!!!!! you could totally do that for dinner, or even find some vanilla and chocolate cookies for dessert.
find a really good piano performance on youtube to watch OR what i did with my choir and kids last year, play the piano music and let them draw/paint what they "see" when they hear the music. Rachmoninov's Concerto #3 (i have it if you want to borrow it-its 40 minutes long, but you can obviously skip around) :)
Dana totally took what I was going to say! Maybe even dancing to a song that has a lot of variation in it might also be an alternative to the paint.
Oh my stars and marbles! I can't believe there's a DVD of Sparky now...my mom brought out the *record* back when I first hit that wall (and many times after), and I still remember it.
My sister found it on CD a couple of years ago and gave it to me for a birthday. Such memories... (The CD has a couple of other stories on it as well, which was fun. I may need to borrow the DVD after you've had a chance to enjoy it...)
WOW! I'm so glad it's working for you guys . . . you can never have too many CARS cars. *wink*
Post a Comment