This has been a very good week so far, very productive. I know it's only Tuesday, but it's a good start!
On Mondays, my mom has been watching Randall so I can have a day off, which I really appreciate! So, I took Randall to her and headed to MOPS where we made fun keychains (and chatted and snacked, of course). After MOPS, I had lunch with Allison (without any of my kids, weird and yet fun). Then I had about an hour to myself before heading back to my mom's. I picked Randall up and then headed to get Russ from school. From there, we went to the mall to get my mom's cookie cake for her birthday celebration that evening. It was a big cake. A really big cake. Luckily, we're all of the opinion that you can't have too much cookie cake.
We went to my parents' to celebrate my mom's 50th birthday with our family and a few friends. A good time was had by all.
Today, I took Rand to my mom's again for BSF Leader's Meeting. They have offered to have volunteers available to watch him, but he's the only kid and they have to get two volunteers each Tuesday (on top of the volunteers needed each Wednesday for the normal class), so I just asked my mom if she'd mind watching him. She said no and even offered to keep him all day! So, I go get Russ from school on Tuesdays and we head to Grammy's so he can have some time with her and not feel like he's missing all the fun.
After BSF today, I went to Russell's school to volunteer in his class. I had a blast! They weren't doing anything particularly exciting, but I just enjoyed getting to chat with the kids while they were in centers (organized free time). I put a few faces with names I've heard Russ mention and had fun getting to know them a little. Everyone kept turning around and grinning at me and waving at me. I tried to make sure to direct their attention back on Mrs. Roedel, while still smiling at them and waving, too. They were so cute. A lot of the kids asked either me or Russ if I was his mom. He seemed to enjoy having me there (maybe as much as I enjoyed being there... maybe). Next time, I'll have certain kids that need some extra help that I'll get to work with one on one in the hallway while the other kids are in centers. I'm glad I'm able to help Mrs. Roedel out, even just a little. I can't imagine having that many kids at all different levels of learning. Whew.
Then the icing on the cake was a confirmation phone call with the Children's Director at our church where it was confirmed that I get to be the Nursery Coordinator. We had talked about it a few days ago and the position was offered to me, but I wanted to talk with Slade, as well as make sure I asked any questions I had. Ginny and I had been talking about it on and off for a few weeks or so, but it wasn't in the nursery budget and I wasn't able to commit the time while also teaching during first service. Then Ginny said that the board had okayed the position and that they would be able to find someone else to teach the class I "tag" teach with another couple. So, it seems like all the doors were opened and I get to walk through.
I am very excited about this. It will be less than 10 hours a week, with 3 of them being on Sunday mornings. I appreciated Ginny's encouragement and faith in me, too. When we attended First Assembly of God here in Longview, the Nursery Coordinator, Joy, was amazing. She had found her calling in running the nursery. I want to be able to put people at ease the way Joy put me at ease whenever I was nervous about leaving Russ in the nursery (he's fussy because he's teething, he woke up early and might be crabby, he just wants to be held lately, etc). She did such a good job of letting me know that Russ would be well taken care of, as well as loved, even if he was crabby. I never felt like anyone was irritated with the instructions I might have wanted to pass on or that anyone felt like I was overly cautious or anything.
I like the idea of having a consistent person and a familiar face for people to talk with when they leave their kids in the nursery. The nursery experience can make or break a person's opinion of the church. Why stay at a church where the nursery feels chaotic when there are ten million other Bible-believing/preaching churches in Longview that might have a better nursery program? I look forward to getting to know people I might not cross paths with otherwise.
I have been feeling amazed, humbled and a little overwhelmed with all God has blessed me with. Serving in BSF has been such a neat opportunity and I am so thankful for all I am learning there that has/is preparing me for this new opportunity, as well. I am thankful that when God calls me (or anyone) to serve, He also equips me (and them). Whew. Lots of neat happenings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment