Monday, August 20, 2007

Pimiento Cheese Spread

If you're like me, you don't like pimiento cheese spread. *gag* However, if you're like me, you will like this one! It's not the pasteurized processed pimiento cheese spread you find at the grocery store. It's the real, freshly shredded cheese spread that will change your opinion of pimientos. (Aren't pimientos just red bell peppers? Why can't we just call it Red Bell Pepper Cheese Spread?)

Well, whatever you call it, make it! You'll love it! It's especially good with the Tostitos FLOUR tortilla chips!

Homemade Pimiento Cheese Spread

1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 lb. Monterey Jack, shredded
1 (4 oz.) jar pimientos, drained
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
1 t garlic, crushed

Mix all ingredients together and let chill for at least an hour before serving.

This makes a whole lotta pimiento cheese spread, so halve the recipe if you won't be snacking on it for a whole scrapbooking weekend...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did I go my whole life w/o knowing that a pimento is just a red bell pepper?! I LOVE bell peppers!

Wendy said...

I just looked this up...
A pimiento, also spelled pimento, is a small sweet red pepper, similar to, but more flavorful than, a bell pepper.

I also learned that dried pimiento that has been ground up is what paprika is. I LOVE paprika and I had no clue that it was pimiento. I guess you learn something new every day (well maybe not EVERY day!)

Jaime said...

Hey, Wendy, thanks for the info. I like learning new things like that, too! I did not know that dried pimiento is what is ground to make paprika. Very interesting! My brain is growing, I can feel it wrinkling! :-)